There are many different kinds
of question we can ask when we look at a portrait. Take
Anne-Louis Girodet's portrait of Napoleon I
on the right for example.
- What message is Napoleon trying to send about his
place in history?
- What is the significance of the objects around him?
- How does it feel to hold a pose like that for a
- How has the artist recreated the rich, flowing texture
of Napoleon's robes?
- What artworks of the past is the artist borrowing
- What, if any, was the conversation like between
artist and sitter?
We have created seven themes which will provide
you with the broadest possible range of inquiry into
the portraits on these pages. Also included in the themes
are discussion points and activities to do with your
class. Click on the coloured tabs above to find out